Friday, January 13, 2012

Just January

Well, I don't know about y'all, but the theme of my week (besides busy) is paying bills and surfing the Higher Ed job site for any sort of online, part-time instructional technology teaching positions (as a side gig)...seems everyone is looking for Business or Literature teachers instead.

My first 101 class met Wednesday morning, and it went pretty smoothly. My students were just so quiet, and I could not get them to say hardly anything. The first day is a bit overwhelming for them, because this is an orientation class and there are tons of handouts and things to take in. I even made french vanilla coffee with toppings for them, but most of them acted too shy to partake. What a vast difference from observing HS students during my practicum in Fall! They would've knocked each other over to get to a coffee bar, and I would have had a few discipline problems to boot! So I can't complain, all in all.

I also made a couple of awesome bulletin boards at work: one for the office on careers and one for the college to promote campus organizations. I received a lot of positive feedback on these. Sometimes I feel like a working machine.

It's been so warm and humid here that I am loving the cooler temps and gusty winds tonight. I just wish we had a few snowflakes in our forecast too -- jealous of those northwesterners and their blankets of white. I am gearing up for a busy MLK Holiday weekend and will be in touch soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment